Does anyone still do this? I remember growing up my mother would place a pitcher of water in the sun, filled with tea bags. I honestly don’t remember why my sister and I were so mesmerized, but we would sit in the sun and watch the pitcher turn colors. Then we would beg to cut up the fruits and add them into the mix. It was our traditional summer drink and I don’t know why we loved it so much.
It must have been the sugar.
If you haven’t tried this yet you are in for a treat! Through the years we have added a healthier twist to the recipe, which is super simple.
If you have tried this before, try it again with this new recipe and let us know what you think!
1. Find a large, clean glass pitcher and fill it with fresh water.
2. Add 1 tea bag for every 5 ounces of water. The better tea you use, the better it will taste.
3. Place a lid on the pitcher, but don’t seal it tightly. Place the pitcher in direct sunlight.
4. After a few hours the tea should be quite dark. This is when we like to cut up and add fresh lemons. But you can wait until you refrigerate it to add your fruits. Strawberries also work well.
5. You want to take the pitcher out of the sun after 3-5 hours and remove the tea bags. This is the point where we add the sweetener. Honey is our preferred sweetener. It’s a bit healthier than sugar and leaves the drink less sweet, so you can enjoy the tea and fruit flavor.
6. Refrigerate for an hour and serve over ice.